Thursday, April 8, 2010

Things I've learned

Being a new mom is quite the adventure. There are so many things to learn. My mom said to me that instinct can only take you so far!

So from my experience here's what I've learned.

1. The rule of 2.
     This meaning - bring 2 of everything. 2 outfits, 2 binkis, 2 blankets, 2 diapers, (more than 2 wipes). Time and time again I've found that it's very useful to be well prepared for all situations. During my mission I carried around a mini swiss army knife. Why would a sister missionary need it? I don't know - but it was definitely used. Even the Elders knew I had it and would ask if they could use it. So - not only do I recommend carrying a mini swiss army knife, but 2 of everything that your baby may or may not need! Also carry a change of clothes - Hillary suggested to keep a change of clothes in your car.

2. Breastfeeding is mind over matter.
   Lots of moms get off to a difficult start with breastfeeding. In all the books I read pre-baby they all said that you have to be determined to make it work. I agree. It's not easy, it's hard if there are bumps in the road to feeding normally. So, if you're breastfeeding and running into issues, stick with it. You'll get there. Seek help if you need it. If you need encouragement, email me - call me - talk to your mom - someone! Don't think you are alone! Also for car trips - bring a pump. I pumped in the car while someone else drove and fed the baby with minimal stops. Unless of course you want the break in driving then taking some time to feed is ok.

3 Make sure that you're doing what's needed while baby's asleep.
  I've found that when baby is asleep I like to rest as well. But - there are dishes to be done, bathrooms to be cleaned, floors that need vacuuming. So keep a list of what needs to be done and make sure that you get enough rest in between. Especially since baby is a lot of work! If your partner is around, make sure that they know what needs to be done as well to help lighten the load.

4. A mildly supportive nighttime nursing bra has made all the difference.
   That's a link to the one I've been using. For some reason this bra has really helped during the night. I don't know why, but I would recommend getting one. I know that Babies - R - Us carries them, but that link takes you to the Amazon website.
 
5. Hydrate - which I think is pretty self explanatory.
  

No comments: