Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Do's and Do Not's for shopping

I know a lot of the Moms who are a part of this blog are master bargain shoppers. So this post is for the random person that might come across and read this blog.

I recently shopped at a sale put together by the Columbus Mother of Twins Club, affectionately called the Twin Sale. This sale is twice a year and I have bought the majority of my baby items and my daughters' clothes there, beginning before my oldest was born. While shopping there this weekend I took note of some things. Most of these are specific to the twin sale but you might find some wisdom for other types of shopping. Maybe Black Friday?

1. When shopping, whether bargaining or not, try not to take your kids. Especially if you think that you will be standing in long lines. I waited for 2 hours in the twin sale line. Believe me, I am so glad that I did not have 2 girls clinging to my legs and, oh my gosh, whining. Whining kids will not make you happy nor your kids. Another reason not to take your kids- you spend more when they're around. There are so many great deals at garage sales and such that I would think nothing of buying a little trinket now and then. This is just multiplied by 10 if you have a cute little girl, staring at you with big eyes, and asking if she can buy the princess tea set for only $2.00.

2. If you are shopping at a place where it is going to be crowded and tables are close together, such as flea markets or the twin sale, do not bring your stroller. It is not going to save you time or muscle. It's just going to make everyone around you annoyed. Just bring 3 huge canvas bags. I met a lady in line who made her own oversized bags and they looked just like the ones that cost $40! I'm going to find that pattern and make a few.

3. Check things thoroughly. I did not do this and ended up buying a pair of shoes that were both left feet. Now they only cost $2.00 but still, this could have been avoided. It only takes a few seconds to check that there are no stains, rips, or that there are no essential pieces missing.

4. If you can, shop with a buddy. This was the first sale that I attended without Reed and I will never do that again. The great thing is that he can jump in line while I'm still looking at items and then we're not standing in line forever. It's also so nice to have another voice of reason telling me that I do not need to buy Lara 4 pairs of jean shorts, 2 will suffice. Even though they are a dollar each.

5. Power hours are worth it.

6. When shopping during a very crowded, first come first serve, winner take all, type deal, go in with a game plan. If I have big items I need to buy, I do that first. That's how I got all my car seats, strollers, and our bike trailer, each of which cost $50 or less.

Happy Shopping!

No comments: