Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Epstein Pearls

During a period of time in Lily's life, she was so fussy and often! I started investigating what the issue could be.

At one point, I thought maybe she was sick?

Or maybe she was teething early? I did see these little white spots in her gum.

After figuring out that it was her daytime sleep that was the culprit, I still wanted to know what these little white bumps were in her mouth. Were they teeth? Did they hurt? Were they normal?

The answer is: epstein pearls. EP's are whitish-yellow cysts that form on the gums and the roof of a newborn's mouth. Or in Lily's case a 3 month old baby's mouth. They are normal, will go away in time and are NOT teeth.

So next time your little one is crying, take a peek at her gum's to see if she has any pearls!

1 comment:

Valerie said...

I just found this post, I must not have seen it before. Very interesting! I had no idea about these and I've had 2 babies! I'll have to look for these in my next one.